Track 10: Bakery AU
Welcome to episode ten of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast!
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you!
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author MandalaRose to discuss fics set in alternative universes where Dean and/or Cas are bakers, and also discuss the art of commenting. The fics discussed include Cupcakes and Kittens by MandalaRose, I’ll Cross the Sky for You by superhoney, and The Way To A Man’s Heart by LicieOIC.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A warning: Adult themes and swear words are mentioned in this podcast.
Our guest – MandalaRose
Cupcakes and Kittens by MandalaRose, with art by LadyRandomBox
Published 2020, 74k words, E
Dean Winchester is not a cat guy.
But one softhearted Sasquatch brother and a mad dash to the pet store later, Dean somehow finds himself the sole caregiver for an abandoned baby kitten. It’s a good thing that quirky pet store girl gave him the Twitter handle for her cat rescue buddy, CJ. Dean doesn’t know about the kitten, but he sure as hell could use some rescuing right about now.
Castiel Novak is not a baker.
But one interfering best friend and some dismal Yelp reviews for his brother’s coffee shop later, Castiel somehow finds himself standing in front of a cook top in his very first baking class, his non-existent baking aspirations literally going up in smoke around him. It’s a good thing his gorgeous, green-eyed classmate is there to rescue him…
The Way to a Man’s Heart by LicieOIC
Published Nov 2020, 50k words, E
In a fictional version of Lebanon, KS – Dean owns The Piehole which he runs with his brother, Sam. Castiel works at a rival bakery, Your Daily Bread. They meet anonymously over the internet. Sparks fly.
I’ll Cross the Sky for You by superhoney with art by Aceriee
Published for Dean/Cas Tropefest 2017, 33k words, E
Castiel thinks it sounds ridiculous: a spaceship that’s also an Earth-style coffeeshop? But upon his first visit to The Family Business, he quickly realizes that the owner, Dean Winchester, is incredibly handsome, the pastries are delicious, and the coffee is out of this world.
One visit leads to another, and before long, Castiel is completely won over by both the coffeeship and its owner. It’s hard to maintain a relationship when you’re constantly flying across the vastness of space, but for the sake of both his heart and his stomach, Castiel swears he and Dean will make it work.
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Other Bakery AU recommendations:
- meet me in the dark by superhoney (57,609, E) – A vampire walks into a bakery
- Just Your Heart, In Exchange For Mine by noxsoulmate (46,808, M)
- Kiss the Baker by Ltleflrt (112,697, E) – Police officer Dean and baker Cas
- Russian to the Altar by MalMuses (144,258 E) – Baker Dean is married to Russian erotic novelist Cas to help him flee Russia. BDSM ensues. Delicious.
- Sweet Surprise by Amandacanzo (21,313, E)
- Dial ‘M’ For Monster by duckyboos (WIP, E)
- No Need for an Alpha by notfunnydean (21,821, E)
- A Way Back Home by thatpeculiarone (41,746 T)
- Finding Home by desirae (42,828 E)
- Proof of Love by VioletHaze (60,189 E)
- With Choux in Mind by neonbat (59,945 E)
- Sweeter Than Roses by FagurFiskur (2247 G)
- PWP: Pie Without Plot by MajorEnglishEsquire and orange_crushed (82,518, M)
- Never Trust a Skinny Baker series by mnwood (23,325 T)
- I Met Him on a Sunday (and my heart stood still) by PalominoPup (47,979 E)
- The Graveyard Shift by riseofthefallenone, purgatoryjar (620,733, E)
What’s your favourite bakery AU? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂