Track 13: Space Gays
Welcome to episode thirteen of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast!
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you!
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author Imogenbynight to discuss fics based in space. The fics discussed include Dark Side of the Moon by imogenbynight, The Parts of Our Sum by Annie D, Untethered by TheTwistedWillow and skies of powdered gold by casfallsinlove.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A warning: Adult themes and swear words are mentioned in this podcast.
Our guest – imogenbynight
Cass’ other fics mentioned in the podcast:
- Qualia (26,600 words, M) – Dean and Sam move into a smart house with an AI named Castiel
Dark Side of the Moon by imogenbynight
With art by thimblings
Published 2013 for DCBB, 37k words, M
Five months into his six month mission, an accident leaves Flight Engineer Dean Winchester stranded on the moon. It comes down to a man he has never met to bring him home.
The Parts of Our Sum by Annie D
Published 2013, 55k words, E
Castiel, a former soldier, has worked for the Company his entire life. They’ve been good to him, providing clothes, shelter and new body parts whenever necessary. Now the Company’s gearing up for a space exploration voyage, and Castiel’s volunteered for the research team. During the preparation period, he meets Dean Winchester, who makes Castiel wonder about the things he’s missed out on.
Untethered by TheTwistedWillow
Published 2020, 32k words, M
Mpreg (not explicit), dubious consent
Forced into a new life on an alien world, Dean must learn to rely on the land, an array of undiscovered skills and strengths, and a collective of people who are so very different—and yet so alike—in many ways.
Based on an episode of Stargate but not a crossover.
skies of powdered gold by casfallsinlove
with art by allovely
DCBB 2015, 15k words, M
Dean Winchester went from lone space explorer, joyriding through the stars, to captain of the Impala: a hand-built scavenging ship home to the best crew this side of the universe. He and his crew own their little slice of galaxy. They scavenge, they sell, it’s comfortable. Until Hannah asks if they can take in her homeless friend Castiel, another rebel Seraph, and Dean ends up saying yes – to a little more than he expected.
- Chris Hadfield singing Space Oddity on the ISS
- The Envelope Analogy– mature vs explicit ratings
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Other Space Gays recommendations:
- I’ll Cross the Sky for You by superhoney (33,364, E) – Discussed in detail in track 10: Bakery AU
- Long Road Home series by Darmys (292,000 (combined), T)
- Shattered Dreams–Curated Reverie by Darmys (156,289 E)
- The Love of a Righteous Man by SargentMom573 (24,056, E)
- Paper Planes by zerostumbeline33 (69,348, E)
- a human heart by sharkfish (3231, M)
- Stella Angelus by quillquiver (4090, G)
- ET Goes Home by captainangua (52,373, not rated)
- The Galaxy’s Most Wanted by saltnhalo (10,160, E)
- Shielded Heart by juniperjones (92,991, E)
- Earthrise in Your Eyes by cinderellaslostshoe (39,705 M)
- Oxygen by Malmuses (work in progress, E)
- Personal Space by Malmuses (40,795, E)
What’s your favourite Space fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂