Track 17: Kid fics
Welcome to episode seventeen of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome Destiel author DragonSgotenks to discuss Destiel fics involving kids. The fics discussed include A Fine Romance by DragonSgotenks, Light Me Up by tricia_16, and The Nanny by Kitmistry.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
Thanks to miss-melodypond we now have a transcript available for this episode.
A warning: This episode contains some spoilers, swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own risk.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Our Guest – DragonSgotenks
DragonSgotenks, also known as Sarah, writes gorgeous Destiel AUs. Find all of Sarah’s work on ao3, or on twitter.
Other fics of Sarah’s that we mention:
- And Because It Is My Heart (wip, E) – Handyman Cas helps single dad Dean fix up an old farmhouse. Fluff and angst.
- Say Cheese (50k words, E) – Photographer Cas meets newly single dad Dean.
A Fine Romance by DragonSgotenks
Published 2019, 54k words, E
Castiel was one of those Parents the other teachers referred to as a “hot mess” but Dean just thought he was hot, even if he did come off as kind of a dick sometimes.
When an accident lands him in the ER Dean comes face to face with his biggest crush when he discovers Cas is his nurse. It seems like fate that he manages to strike up a friendship with the father of some of his favorite students. But with Castiel still bitter over the way his ex used him up and then left him with nothing but 3 young kids to raise on his own he may be guarding his heart with too much caution to let someone new in.
Dean will have to find a way to thaw the ice around Cas’ heart or risk letting his chance at happiness slip through his fingers.
The Nanny by Kitmistry
Published for SPNMBB 2021, 120k words, E
Art by missmistiblurryface
He had style, he had flair, he had…well, actually, he didn’t have any of those things. But he did have pretty green eyes, and Claire didn’t want to murder him on sight (all Castiel was asking for these days). And that’s how Dean became the nanny!
Light Me Up by tricia_16
Published 2019, 195k words, E
Five years after participating in a life-changing threesome with his then-girlfriend and her friend Cas, Dean’s single, comfortably bisexual, and has everything he’s ever wanted except for that special someone to share his life with. When tragedy strikes, he and Cas are reunited in an unexpected way, and a split-second decision entangles their lives in ways neither of them could have predicted…
Other kid fics by tricia_16:
- A Little Grace (99,000, E) – newly finished serial fic, A/B/O
- Track To Happiness (17,235, M) – pandemic meet-cute
- Start of Something Good (184,136, E) – cute baby Claire AU, angst with a happy ending
- Fic Facers auctions open on June 11! Visit Fic Facers website to see the list of auctions (including Mal and DragonSgotenks!)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Other kid fic recommendations:
- Trial and Tribulations of Raising a Nephilim by Sickandtiredofyou (14,910, T) – canon verse, in which jack is actually a newborn
- Growing Pains DarkHeartInTheSky (25,509, T)
- Plain and Tall by destielpasta & mtothedestiel (69,853, E)
- Kinda Like Family, Kinda Like Love by followyourenergy (122,313, M)
- Crashing In by followyourenergy (77,352, E)
- Together We’re Golden by nickelkeep (6751, T) – canon, de-aged sam
- Stay With Me Sweetheart by mandalarose (142,926, E)
- Every Job Is Important by followyourenergy (25,575, T)
- The Cambion Cantrip by Maldoror_Chant (64,537, M) – Mpreg, mild body horror
- (Thank You) For All The Mistakes by nickelkeep (10,885, E)
- Like the Angel by nickelkeep (9605, E)
- The Waltz of Shilly-Shallying by thefandomsinhalor (36,382, E)
- My Favorite Flavor by sapphirecobalt (8516, T)
- A Cut Above by coffeeandcas (25,697, E)
- Wee Little Love Child by almaasi (10,649, T)
- The House on the Ocean Road by coffeeandcas (111,531, E)
- Personal Space/Earthly Desires by MalMuses (40,795, E) – alien babies! Read the tags.
- Baby Whispering 101 by EllenofOz (5047, G) – baby-wearing at university
- A Cup of Serenity by EllenofOz (7718, T) – two-person love triangle where kid Claire introduces her dad to kid Jack’s dad.
What’s your favourite kid fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂
7 Replies to “Track 17: Kid fics”
I loooove kid fics and now I have a lot more to read!! Thank you!
One shorter fic I absolutely adore is “Daddio” by followyourenergy. It’s so sweet.
Already looking forward to the next episode of the podcast and hope you’re well 🙂
FYE writes such wonderful kid fics, doesn’t she? Glad you’re enjoying the show <3
My favorite kid!fic is The House on the Ocean Road by coffeeandcas. Its on ao3 and god i love it so much would recommend 100%, it sounds really sad but it’s actually really fluffy the kids are sooo cute it’s brilliant and actually rather refreshing
Link and summery for those who want to read it:
Dean Winchester is on the run from his life. He’s done something unforgivable, and can’t face his family or friends ever again. So he does what any rational person would do: fakes his own death and vanishes into the ether.
Wandering aimlessly along country roads, he succumbs to the elements during a violent storm and wakes up hours later in the home of a stranger: a single dad living alone in an isolated beach house, with a haunting past of his own. Cas is sweet and shy, but welcomes Dean into his home and tells him he can stay as long as he needs, never prying into his life or asking him to spill his secrets.
As they rapidly forge a close friendship, Dean finds that the quiet life by the ocean with Cas is exactly what he’s been dreaming of. He only hopes his past never catches up with him.
What an excellent rec! Thank you—I’ll add it to the list 😊
Hi Ellen, Mal, and everyone else reading this 🙂
I know I’ve commented on this episode before, but I just NEEDED to add one more, because I’ve read it countless times and I have nobody to talk to about it – and I think it deserves more readers. It’s by the wonderful sobsicles, who we all know writes amazing fics in general. It’s called “Let’s Take a Drive” and it is about Jack who de-ages himself, thinking this will positively influence his relationship with Dean. The fic then deals with the impacts of that, how it influences Dean’s and Cas’ relationship, and it does it in such a wonderful and incredibly funny way, that it’s one of the fics I keep coming back to. It honestly makes me cry and laugh out loud every time I read it.
Here’s the link 🙂
Hope you’re all safe and healthy and happy. Have a wonderful year!
Thanks Jean! 🥰