Track 18: Murder Husbands
Welcome to episode eighteen of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author Duckyboos to discuss the murder husbands trope in Destiel fics. The fics discussed include Red Right Hand by Duckyboos, Dirty Laundry by vipjuly, and From Grace and Uniform by saltnhalo and ThursdaysWaywardWriter.
A transcript is available for this episode.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A warning: This episode contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own risk.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Our Guest – Duckyboos
Duckyboos writes amazing murder husbands and psychological thrillers in Destiel flavour. Find all of Ducky’s work on ao3.
Other fics of Ducky’s that we mention:
- Surprise! You’re Dead! – WIP, Husbands Dean and Cas find themselves having to kill to feed Cas’ new apetite.
Books Ducky mentions:
- The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker – became the movie Hellraiser
- Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Bright – serial killers from the US and UK
Red Right Hand by Duckyboos
Published 2015, 85k words, E
It all starts with the mysterious note left on Dean’s chair.
It all ends with Dean coming to terms not only with what he’s capable of, but how much that knowledge doesn’t bother him.
Dirty Laundry by vipjuly
Published 2018, 29k words, E
Perhaps intelligence comes with its own dose of insanity.
Dr. Castiel James Novak is a leading name in the mental health community. When Dean Winchester, self-proclaimed Golden Gardens killer, lies down on his couch for the first time, Castiel feels it.
Dean Winchester is exactly who he says he is.
Castiel Novak is exactly who Dean makes him out to be.
From Grace and Uniform by saltnhalo and ThursdaysWaywardWriter
Published 2017, 94k words, E
When FBI agent Dean Winchester was first assigned to the Ghost’s case, he was expecting it to be the same as any other serial killer hunt–frustrating dead ends, a trail of bodies, unending paperwork. What he wasn’t expecting was for it to be interrupted by a mysterious alpha calling himself Cas, knowing far too much about him and offering up not just a lead, but concrete information on his mother’s killer.
As the two set off in search of justice for Mary Winchester and the countless other victims of Azazel Masters, Dean struggles to come to grips with himself. Despite his whirlwind attraction to Cas, he knows that exposing himself to his colleagues as an omega instead of the beta he pretends to be would be a mistake. Nothing can happen between the two of them; not without Dean losing everything he knows.
But resisting the mysterious alpha isn’t nearly as easy as he anticipated–no matter the dark secrets the man carries with him.
- The FBI agent fic Mal mentions (not murder husbands) is Observe and Report by VioletHaze
- Fic Facers auctions opened on June 11! Visit Fic Facers website to see the list of auctions (including Mal and several others of our favourite authors and artists!)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Other murder husbands recommendations:
- CONventional Psychotherapy by Mayalaen (75,004, E)
- Something Dark by Kradarua (16,466, E)
- Savior’s in the Details by PaperAnn (70,972, Not rated (but explicit))
- In the Air Tonight by Insominia (3528, E)
- Some Kind of Courtship by Annie D (16,723, E)
- I’m Gonna Love You Through It by Taybay14 (41,859, E)
- And in the Darkness, Bind Them by CeliPuff and Ketch22 (70,440, E)
- Two Righteous Men by raths_kitten (3812, M)
- Jailhouse Rock by MalMuses and Nera_Solani (3569, E)
What’s your favourite murder husbands fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂
3 Replies to “Track 18: Murder Husbands”
I recently got into destiel murder husbands fics and this has given me a lot of fics to add to my reading list. I’m just curious when “Surprise! You’re Dead” will be updated. It’s still just on chapter 3 and I really want to see where it goes. It’s honestly SO GOOD!
Anyway, thanks for this incredibly informative podcast! 😁
I found out about y’all’s project a couple months ago and have been shamelessly reveling in these rec lists — but *finally* listened to an episode yesterday and wow I’ve been missing out! I started with this one because I’m a huge murder husbands fan, and it was so cool to hear y’all and Duckyboos shed new light on this trope and discuss concepts I’ve thought but never had the occasion to vocalize! I’m so excited to keep listening! Thanks for putting in all the work to bring this amazing resource, analysis, and bit of pure joy to the community!
Awesome, thanks for giving us a go, Nox <3 We had a great time with Duckyboos 🙂