Track 23: Writers
Welcome to episode twenty-three of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author opal_bullets to celebrate both 100k Destiel fics on ao3, and our Mixtape anniversary on September 18. We discuss fics where Dean and/or Cas are writers themselves. Fics include And This, Your Living Kiss by opal_bullets, The State of You by TrenchcoatBaby, Cabin by the Lake by CBFirestarter, and The Ocean Between Us by noxsoulmate, among others.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
Thanks to friend of the podcast, Lindywoo, we now have a transcript available for this episode.
A warning: This episode contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own risk.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Our Guest – opal_bullets
Opal_bullets writes Destiel fics in different genres. Find her on tumblr at asecretvice.tumblr.com, and read all of her works on ao3.
To celebrate both meeting the milestone of 100k published Destiel fics on ao3, plus Mixtape Book Club’s first anniversary, we’re going to give away some presents!
- Two copies of Misha Collins’ poetry book, Some Things I Can’t Tell You, due for release on October 12. If the winners are in USA or Canada, we’ll attempt to send from an independent bookshop, but outside of those countries the preorder will be through Book Depository.
- Sticker packs thanks to Spotted Hound Design on Etsy.
- A Mixtape mug via our Redbubble.
Just a PSA: The giveaway widget below seems to break if you are using Chrome on a mobile device. If it’s not working for you, please try again on a desktop or another browser.a Rafflecopter giveaway
The more entries you complete, the more chances you have to win! Once the giveaway is complete, five winners will be drawn and contacted by email. First winner to get back to us gets their pick of the prize pool, then on until all prizes are taken.
And This, Your Living Kiss by opal_bullets
Published for Pinefest 2019, 57k words, M
With art by Elliot Draznin
Only a very few people in the world know that the celebrated and reclusive poet Jack Allen is just Kansas mechanic Dean Winchester, a high school dropout with a few bucks to his name. Not that it matters anymore; life has left him so wrung out he never wants to pick up another pen.
Until, that is, a string of coincidences leads Dean to auditing a poetry course with one Dr. Castiel Novak. The professor is wildly intelligent, devastatingly handsome…and just so happens to be academia’s foremost expert on the poetry of Jack Allen.
The State of You by TrenchcoatBaby
Published 2018, 101k words, E
Castiel Novak is a New York based, no-nonsense book editor avoiding his southern roots. Dean Winchester is a born-and-raised farmer and budding novelist with a terrible case of writer’s block. When Dean finally admits that he needs help, Castiel is given a plane ticket and a mission: help Dean meet his deadline—by any means necessary.
But what happens when Dean and Castiel are immediately enemies…and immediately attracted to each other? Will they come together and learn from one another? Or will adversity and circumstance keep them apart?
Cabin by the Lake by CBFirestarter
Published 2017, 49k words, E
Dean Winchester has been leasing out his extra cabin up by Moose Head Lake in Maine for many years now. He has grown accustom to the rhythm and predictability of life in the quiet forests of Northern Maine. Something always felt missing though, and heart ache from lost love had pushed Dean to lock himself away. When he suddenly meets the blue eyed writer who is the first tenant of the season, things in Dean’s life get turned upside down, and maybe he is willing to take a chance again, even if it might mean getting hurt.
- Another story related to horses: War Wounds by CBFirestarter (77,285, E)
The Ocean Between Us by noxsoulmate
Published 2017, 27k words, E
Living a hermit life, Dean Winchester didn’t need much. The only things important to him were his position in the business that was once owned by his family, his boat, and his friendship with Castiel, Charlie, and Gabriel. If only there wasn’t a whole ocean between them, then maybe he could even give his feelings for Castiel a chance …
Fics with both Cas and Dean writing
- 300cc by LanaSerra and Spandwiches (87,257, E) – Both poets
- The Complete Works of Emmanuel Allen by violue (56,341, E) – Cas is an author but Dean writes fanfic
- Write First Then Read by MittenWraith (60,254, E) – Both fanfic writers
- Go Down With This Ship porcupinegirl (31,354, E) – Cas Writing (Both write fanfic though, also)
Fics with Cas as a writer
- A Literary Seduction by daydreamdestiel (6757, E)
- therefore, we live by castielslostwings (36,209, E)
- Whenever I’m Alone with You by Casloveshisfreckles (22,948, E)
- (un)conventional by imogenbynight( 6100, G)
- Castiel Decides to Write a Novel by thecouchcarrot (4491, T)
- Family Devotional by lovemuppet (53,912, E)
- Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy by palominopup (67,298, E)
- Painted Angels by WinJennster (105,637, E)
- To Build a Home by intothesilentland (383,088, M)
- Famous Last Words by GatesKeeper (111,291, E)
- Darkly Dreaming Dean by Duckyboos (29,008, E)
- Easy Now, With My Heart by casfallsinlove (49,663, E)
- Supernatural: Today Your Barista Is… by IBegToDreamAndDiffer (95,617, E)
- The Lover’s Song by FriendofCarlotta (48,198, E)
- Russian to the Altar by MalMuses (144,257, E)
- Coffee, Tea or Me? by Ellenofoz (1821, M)
Fics with Dean as a writer
- What’s Another Word for “You?” by Ltleflrt (3839, T)
- Checked Out by whelvenwings (27,127, G)
- Hunt for a Healing Halo by Ahaviel (38,068, E)
- Cuffed to an Angel by mattzerella_sticks (72,529, T)
- Desert Rituals by lovemuppet (26,191, E)
- A [T]ypical Romcom by masked (68,865, E)
- White Winter Hymnal by newbluemoon (25,450, E)
- Funny Peculiar by sysrae (5365, E)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
What’s your favourite crack fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂
4 Replies to “Track 23: Writers”
I don’t usually like poetry, because it doesn’t click in my head (I have the same problem with song lyrics), but And This, Your Living Kiss by opal_bullets included stuff that worked for me, and I enjoyed it so much. I’ve actually started trying to read more poetry because of it 🙂
That’s so great to hear <3 Sounds like it's inspired quite a few people!
Loved this episode. I know I haven’t left y’all a note in ages, but I do listen occasionally. More frequently these days, I read the lists & synopses of featured fics that you provide, and they’re really helpful to me when I need to find a fic fast to get out of my head a bit.
OpalBullets is one of my fave writers in this fandom, and it was delightful to hear her speak as a witty, eloquent, knowledgable, and passionate writer and lover of writing and poetry. I remember writing Opal a gushy and embarrassing love letter after reading the fic y’all discussed in this one. Her work resonated with me, so hard– not in a “I see myself in this” kind of way but in a “One day I hope to have the time to put this level of care into my stories.” She is definitely a role model.
I’m also 100% looking forward to the next episode because I love time travel stories. I haven’t read ANY in SPN fandom though because the TWO I have stumbled upon were uncreative re-hashes of well-known time travel movies & that kind of fic is not to my taste. I know y’all have some up your sleeves that will be delightful.
Thanks so much, Jenny! And This, Your Living Kiss is an amazing story, isn’t it? We were delighted Opal came to talk with us 🙂
I’m glad we can help you find new stories to read! I can’t wait to chat about time travel fics either, it’s a favourite genre of mine and we’ve found some great ones within fandom. I hope you’ll like them too <3