Track 25: Alt Endings
Welcome to episode twenty-five of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome back author MandalaRose to discuss fics that rewrite the end of Supernatural. Fics include The End is Where We Begin by MandalaRose, Buffer Time by SundayZenith, and Anamnesis by cenotaphy, among others.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A warning: this episode contains spoilers for these fics – we do warn before mentioning spoilers.
As always, Mixtape Book Club contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own discretion, with attention paid to any little ears that might be nearby!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Our Guest – MandalaRose
You may remember MandalaRose from our episode 10, where we discussed her fic Cupcakes and Kittens. You can find all of her Destiel works on ao3 under MandalaRose. You can also find her on twitter as MandalaRose2.
Another fix-it from MandalaRose: New Holiday (6258, E) – post 15×19 holiday fix
The End Is Where We Begin by MandalaRose
Published 2021, 90k words, E
Cas is stuck in The Empty, Chuck has Thanos-snapped everyone they’ve ever known to fuck knows where, and now Jack’s going through some kind of cosmic puberty Dean’s eighth grade health class definitely did not prepare him for. They’ve got two hunters at the end of their rope, a recently-exploded half-angel kid, a witch who just came back from the dead (again), and Billie Mark II, who’s only redeeming quality is that she hasn’t actually killed Dean…yet. Team Free Will 3.0. Here we go.
Another fix-it by MandalaRose: New Holiday (6258 words, E)
Anamnesis by cenotaphy
Published end 2020, 25k words, G
Chuck is depowered, Jack is the new god, and the world is free. Dean and Sam get into the Impala and chase down the miles on an endless highway, and their story is finally, finally their own to follow. At least, that’s what Dean tells himself. But the diners and motels and painted interstate lines are blurring together and the smallest details keep catching at his brain like tiny fishhooks and he can’t quite shake the feeling that not everything is exactly as it should be.
Buffer Time by SundayZenith
Published for DCBB 2021, 42k words, T
Art by Gabester-sketch
When Dean wakes up in his town’s jailcell with a disoriented Cas, he happily roles with it. Sure, he knows he’ll be the laughing stoke of the town for a few days — what deputy locks himself in his own jailhouse? — but as long as Cas is there, things are fine.
Until he realizes his memory is unusually fuzzy. Until Cas starts acting strange and morose. Until he starts having brief flashes of Cas being taken from him by an inky black entity. Until Cas starts talking about plot holes and tropes.
Until he wakes up by a fire in the woods, on a quests to fight a dragon –no wait, in an ambulance, late for his shift as a surgeon– no wait-
Dean’s just trying to figure out why he and Cas keep waking up in different genres and why Cas seems so distant, while Sam works with Eileen, Gabriel, and a few others to do the same on the other side of a laptop.
Other Alternate Ending Fics
- Loud by Castielslostwings (4279, G)
- Surely, Heaven Waits by Castielslostwings (4611, T)
- This is not our goodbye by Darkheartinthesky (8272, M) – podfic by NerdyNerdenstein
- The Shape of Things to Come by spiderglass (61,953, M)
- and you can use my skin by unicornpoe (5365, T)
- Say you’ll haunt me by Duckyboos (2461, T)
- I’m begging for you to take my hand (wreck my plans) by Laslus (11,636, T)
- Dawn by AmberXBoone (2309, E)
- Of Loss and Love by BadassCompany (10,096, E)
- Feathers Falling on the World by RogueTranslator (6229, E)
- for which no words exist by MediaWhore (14,431, T)
- Eye of the Needle by cenotaphy (4462, G)
- The Golden Apples of the Sun by intothesilentland (68,201, unrated)
- Happiness is(n’t) in the Having by Nayeliq1 (92,277, E)
- I’d Search Forever Just To Bring You Home by AngelWithoutAShotgun (25,162, M)
- The Family Business by chai_lattes (15,704, M)
- My Love For You by Shadowkat83 (727, G)
- twelve omens by vaudelin (6582, T)
- Everything is Blue by MalMuses (4919, T)
- Sandy Toes by EllenofOz (993, T)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
What’s your favorite final fix-it fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂