Track 33: Angel Possession
Welcome to episode thirty-three of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author Cheerful_Shinagami to discuss fics where Castiel possesses Dean. Fics include Cheerful_Shinagami’s Contingency, the home we make together by vaudelin, terror & desire intertwined by rupertgayes, and plenty more.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
As always, Mixtape Book Club contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own discretion, with attention paid to any little ears that might be nearby!
Our Guest – Cheerful_Shinigami
Find Ripley’s Destiel stories on AO3 here: Cheerful_Shinigami.
To celebrate June being Pride month, we’d like to give away some goodies. Enter here to win!
Four winners will be drawn, each with the choice of one of the following until all prizes are claimed:
- a copy of the GISH “It’s Okay To Say Gay” colouring book (featuring lineart from some of our favourite Destiel artists), along with a Castiel pride pin
- stickers from Spotted Hound Design
- a print of your choice from lizleeships Etsy (or Redbubble)
- some stickers from Wigglebox
We’re pleased to announce that if you enjoy our podcast, you can now support us on ko-fi to help us cover our hosting and production costs, either through a one-time donation or a membership basis. Members will have access to our discord server, although we’ll still be hanging out in Profound Bond’s server as well. Check out our ko-fi page for more information: ko-fi.com/mixtapebookclub
Featured fics (timestamps in brackets)
Contingency by Cheerful_Shinigami (8:35)
Published in 2021, 123k words, E
Two months after Dean is dragged to Hell, he crawls out of his own grave with a mysterious handprint branded to his shoulder. A strange being named Castiel claims that he pulled Dean early to stop the literal Apocalypse.
Now Dean must figure out a way to derail the divine destinies of him and his brother. They must find a way to stop Lilith without killing her, while all of Heaven and Hell want Dean back in the basement so The Plan can continue.
The only one in his corner is Castiel, but can this stupidly handsome stranger be trusted? After all, no one else but Dean can even see or hear him…
[AKA A S4 AU retelling with healthy brotherly bonding, tons of TFW feels, a very sweet slow burn, and Cas in a waistcoat!]
the home we make together by vaudelin (50:30)
Published in 2021, 48k words, E
In the kitchen, Dean doesn’t notice the glowing syringe on the counter until he finishes filling a plastic cup with water, a sippy lid stretched over its top. He blinks at the syringe, eyeing the frighteningly-thick gauge of its needle, the bold glass barrel swirling with a silver-blue hue, its glow muted by the folded piece of paper draped over it.
Blood’s in the fridge, the note says. Kaia thinks maybe this’ll work? Beneath it, cramped and scribbled, as if in an afterthought, Good luck. Don’t get yourself killed. — Claire
Grace, extracted from a human once possessed by an angel. The last traces left when an angel moves on for good.
This is it. One last ditch chance to save Cas. And when it doesn’t work out, Dean will…
Dean will have to give up and finally move on. No point keeping this chapter of his life open, making himself heartsick over impossible dreams.
terror & desire intertwined by rupertgayes (1:07:10)
Published 2020, 39k words, E
Faced with Castiel suffering a fate worse than death, Dean makes the decision to let Cas use his body as a temporary vessel. All things considered, Dean thinks, it could have gone worse.
Other Angel Possession AUs (1:22:15)
- Being Dean Winchester by Anonymous (20,578, E) – s4 divergence (contains hetero smut)
- diamond star halo by jad (4928, T) – s11-ish, sam’s pov
- You Were Always On My Mind by victorian_sexstache (2200, E)
- I CARRY YOUR HEART (I CARRY IT IN MY HEART) by unicornpoe (26,505, E) – post-canon empty fix
- ghosts that we knew by dothraki_shieldmaiden (89,411, E) – Ghost Castiel
- Noone Gets Left Behind by CosmicStardustCastiel (91,939, E)
- Lazy Ass Riding by fellshish (7,575, T)
- the home we make together by vaudelin (48,133, E) – post-canon empty fix
- The Only Exception by VampireInATrenchCoat (46,783, E) – Set during 14×03, “The Scar”
- Cohabitation by three_cake_sandwich (22,986, T)
- Purgatory Pas de Deux by Maldoror_chant (11,805, M) – s9 divergence
- Binary Stars by fourdaysofrain (9,881, T)
- Bound To You by Chipper99 (128,778, G) – post-canon empty fix
- The Passenger Seat by MontyPython (26,931, E) – 15.18 divergence
- Our Bodies, Possessed by Light by obstinatrix (39,881, E) – s4
- Sharing Hands by almaasi (6859, E) – post-purgatory
- I Wanna Take Your Hand (and make it feel so right) by tiptoe39 (1447, E) – pwp
- Possession by kweh (wip) E
- Mi Casa by entanglednow (1315, T)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts.
What’s your favorite fic involving possession? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen.