Track 36: Tattoos
Welcome to episode thirty-six of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome author jemariel to discuss fics where Dean or Cas (or both!) have tattoos. Fics include jemariel’s Cats and Tats, Not the Fire But the Spark by goldenraeofsun, Make You Feel My Love by sternchencas, Under My Skin by xylodemon, and plenty more.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
As always, Mixtape Book Club contains swearing and discussion of adult topics. Please listen at your own discretion, with attention paid to any little ears that might be nearby!
Our Guest – jemariel
We’re pleased to announce that if you enjoy our podcast, you can now support us on ko-fi to help us cover our hosting and production costs, either through a one-time donation or a membership basis. Members will have access to our discord server, although we’ll still be hanging out in Profound Bond’s server as well. Check out our ko-fi page for more information: ko-fi.com/mixtapebookclub
Featured fics (timestamps in brackets)
Cats and Tats by jemariel (12:07)
Published 2019-2020, 38k words, E
Dean’s tattoo studio is his baby, and now this ridiculous pastel coffee shop is going to come along and ruin his bad ass aesthetic? No way. Except it’s not just any old cafe, and the owner is kind of ridiculously handsome…
Castiel is in over his head, opening the Toe Bean while trying to finish veterinary school. The last thing he needs is the distraction of the gorgeous tattoo artist next door who doesn’t even seem to like cats very much….
But the real question is: Will Sam Winchester ever get a moment’s peace??
Not the Fire But the Spark by goldenraeofsun (52:53)
Published 2020, 30k works, E
Dean refused to look up his soulmate. His parents ran into each other by chance. Karen stopped by Bobby’s garage after her car unexpectedly broke down. Sam got seated next to Eileen on a plane, and he spent two hours miming conversation before she admitted she read lips.
Was it stupid for Dean to hold out for a story like that? Probably.
But he doesn’t regret his decision – not until Castiel Novak wanders into his tattoo parlor, asking about a cover up for his soulmark.
Under My Skin by xylodemon (1:03:37)
Published 2017, 4606 words, E
Dean wants to keep Cas close.
Make You Feel My Love by sternchencas with art by caswatchesoveryou (37:47)
Published for Dean/Cas reverse bang 2018, 24k words, E
For the first time in his life, Dean has a ticket to the ‘Heaven on Earth Music Festival’ and after enjoying a weekend full of music, fast food, and freaky people, he takes a late night walk over the festival grounds to say goodbye. Little does he know that the weekend is far from over and that fate has a gift for him – a tall, dark, and tattooed gift.
Castiel regrets many things in his life, but in the midst of a sea of tents, he makes a choice that leads fate to finally give him a break – a hot, sweet break, in need of an angel.
Other Tattoo AUs (1:12:50)
- The Meaning on my Skin by saltnhalo (82,787, E) – Biological d/s
- Enchanted Ink by Castielslostwings (36,339, E)
- Subterranean by InvictaAnimi (166,542, E)
- The Playlist by chevrolangels (18,523, E)
- A Dream Within A Dream by TaylorMay1912 (4022, T)
- The Arts of Flower Arranging by bendingsignpost (1426, M)
- Lifetime Piling Up by MittenWraith (58,916, E)
- Flash Ink by goldenraeofsun (1020,T)
- My House Of Stone, Your Ivy Grows (And Now I’m Covered In You) by Goth-Bias (18,626, T)
- break the skin (to break the barriers) by sobsicles (29,620, M)
- Best To See These True Colours (Than To Follow One Of Your False Virtues) by ImYourHoneyBee (34,690, E) – finale fix
- An Exercise in ‘Worthless’ by glassedplanets (26,547, M)
- Blackwater Lakes by kathscradle (51,140, M)
- Is This Bed Taken? by viscouslover (3952, Not rated)
- Known Seismic Risk by dorkilysoulless (4997, M)
- Like Curving Colour by robotsnchicks (38,136, E)
- The Curious Case of Cuthbert Sinclair by Ellenofoz and MalMuses (73,120, E) – Regency AU
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts.
What’s your favorite tattoo related fic? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen.