Track 2: Mutual Pining
Welcome to episode two of the Mixtape Bookclub Podcast!
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you!
In this episode, we welcome our first special guest—Mittens (aka mittensmorgul/mittenwraith) and also discuss mutual pining in fics. We review two fics: Mittenwraith’s Revenge of the Subtext, and Molting Expectations by tricia_16.
A warning: Adult themes are discussed in this podcast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
We’re so grateful to everyone who has already shared posts and helped to spread the word about the podcast! To say thanks, and to spread the word a little further, we’re giving away a fanart print from LizLee’s Etsy shop to two winners. All you need to do is use the Rafflecopter form below to enter, and two winners will be randomly chosen next Friday.
Each option will get you an entry, but you don’t need to do all of them—just as many as you’d like to. If you’re already following, just click the button. You can also change the message to be tweeted.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Our guest: Mittens
You can find Mittens’ fanfiction on ao3 under MittenWraith, and on Twitter and Tumblr as @mittensmorgul
Other fics Mittens mentions:
Revenge of the Subtext by MittenWraith
Published 2015, 80k words, rated E.
Things are finally settling back down to normal since Cas gave up his grace to cure Dean of the Mark. Well, as normal as their lives are allowed to get. Sam relentlessly finds new cases to work, one right after the other; but Dean thinks they need a break to let Cas have some purely human fun, for once. It’s true they had a difficult time readjusting to humanity at first, but Dean thinks Cas deserves to do more than ride around in the back seat and follow them on monster hunts. Then again, Dean’s a little bit scared to ask exactly what Cas would want, just in case it doesn’t include spending quite so much time with him. And with Sam (of course).
Sam’s been tracking a series of odd occurrences in Laramie, Wyoming for the last few weeks that looks just enough like a case to finally convince Dean they should go check it out. Whether they like it or not, the goddess responsible for the weirdness in Laramie takes an immediate interest in the three less-than-perfectly-happy hunters who’ve stumbled into her town.
Molting Expectations by tricia_16
Published 2018, 163k words, rated E.
After having trouble coping with a traumatic incident on the job, Dean takes his little brother’s advice and leaves everything behind to go stay at the old family cabin in Colorado. Nobody’s been there for years so it needs some major work, but it’s secluded, and that turns out to be exactly what Dean needs in order to start to feel at peace again.
Now in the mountains with nothing but nature to amuse himself with, he takes up bird watching and plans a hike into the mountain range across from his cabin in search of a golden eagle. High up in the mountains, he discovers human footprints. Thinking someone is in danger, he follows them into a cave and quickly becomes familiar with a form of wildlife he never could have imagined: winged people who call themselves angels.
- DeanCas Pinefest – Author and Artist signups now open
- Dean/Cas Big Bang (DCBB) – fics will start to post for this round in October
- SPN Reverse Bang – claims have just happened
- SPN Media Big Bang – Author and Artist signups now open
- SPN Regency Big Bang – just completed posting for this round
- Destiel Harlequin Challenge – next round will start early 2021
- DeanCas Flipfest
- The Perfect Pair Bang – signups closed for this round. Next round 2021.
- Check the big list of SPN Challenges on Fanlore.org.
Other Pining stories we recommend:
- Angel’s Wild by riseofthefallenone & limonadegaby (389,271, E) – Dean injures, then befriends, a wild angel. Gorgeous world building and the slowest of burns
- Redemption Road by spnredemption (various authors) (652217, E)
- Angelhawke by Almaasi (407507, E)
- Stay With Me, Sweetheart by MandalaRose (142,925, E) – Castiel is involved in an accident and Firefighter Dean rescues him, and helps him recover
- Checked Out by Whelvenwings (27,127, G) – Cas is a librarian, Dean is a writer
- Kelp! I Need Somebody by andimeantittosting (27,090, E) – Canon fic, Dean and Cas investigate a kelpie
- First Gentleman Wanted by youaresunlight (31,546, E) – A pretend relationship between Dean and Castiel, President of the USA
- Waiting on a Signal by CBFirestarter & TrenchcoatBaby (90,777, E) – Dean and Cas are medics who chat online, and also frequent a BDSM club. Two-person love triangle
- And This, Your Living Kiss by opal_bullets (56,950, M) – Mature college student Dean is falling for his teacher, Castiel. Except Cas doesn’t know that Dean is also the poet, Jack Allen. Gorgeous poetry and pining
- Suck it, Judy Garland by GlitterDwarf & midrashic (20,116, M) – Canon verse. Sam and Cas get fake married for a case, and Dean loses his mind.
- In this Handmade Heaven by VioletHaze (36,946, E) – Dean fixing up a house, and local police officer Castiel.
Is your favourite not in this list? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂
16 Replies to “Track 2: Mutual Pining”
I just love this podcast. It’s so cool to hear you guys talk about the fanfic, the show, all these amazing and new (for me) fan fiction stories and just… I’m just loving this.
Thank you so much! We’re having a lot of fun putting it together so it’s great to hear that you’re enjoying it 🙂
I really enjoyed this episode. As much as the first one!
Thanks so much for creating great content.
And thanks to Mittens for introducing me to her French Mistake fic because I’m definitely going to read the “Subtext” when I get a chance. (Curse my workload.) I enjoy listening when y’all get super enthusiastic and giggly. I’m definitely a fan of this podcast and looking forward to the next one. Keep up the awesomeness!
Thank you for listening! I really hope you enjoy Revenge of the Subtext 🙂
Thanks for the great talk – you girls are doing great 👍 I love how all the authors support each other x
Thanks so much, Linda ❤️ We’re having a lot of fun 🙂
Mmm pining… truly the best trope for our boys. The pain and suffering until they finally get over their hangups and TALK…. delicious.
Someday I want to sign up for the FlipFest, because trope flipping is basically my M.O. But so far its timing has not lined up with my muse at all lol
Right? All the best fics have lots of pining! Thanks for listening ❤️ I’ll look forward to reading your flipfest sooner or later 🙂
Mutual Pining is one of my fav tropes and so Destiel! Whether it be timing or external plot devices, or miscommunication or internal voices saying the other deserves better. It just fills me with all the feels and makes when they do happen that much sweeter for the pine.
Yesss, Pinefest is one of my favourite bangs for a good reason! Such a great (and in character) trope for these two idiots. Thanks for listening Kaz ❤️
Love the fic recommendations!
Thanks! Hope you find something good to read 🙂
Once again a lovely listen. I think you put it best, that it just is destiel to have some level of pining, if only because that’s what we get from the cannon. One of my favorite tropes is the 2 person love triangle which is like all the pining possible x2 and they’re always enjoyable. Plus fics that rotate who the POV is from and therefore 2x the pining because we get to read all the mutual pining instead of just assuming (*couch* knowing *cough*) it’s reciprocated.
As always appreciative of the recs (I’m personally pretty happy with having read a few of the ones you’ve discussed for both of the tracks so far. I only got into fandom and fic in fall of 2018 so I feel accomplished that I’ve read some of the “greats” in these last two years).
I absolutely cannot wait to listen to the next track, though knowing me I won’t get around to it until track four drops. Oh well more to enjoy for me I guess <3
Thanks again for listening! The fics we end up discussing won’t necessarily be the ‘greats’ every time, we’re hoping to use ones that we’ve read and loved, no matter how widely read they may already be. So hopefully we can suggest a wide range of stories each time 🙂
Also how wonderful are two-person love triangles?! That entire trope is down on our list for its own episode, so stay tuned. ❤️