Track 15: Two-Person Love Triangle
Welcome to episode fifteen of the Mixtape Book Club Podcast.
Do you love Supernatural? Are you a fan of Dean and Castiel, and their relationship? Do you enjoy reading Destiel fanfiction? This is the podcast for you.
In this episode, Ellen and Mal welcome Destiel author bendingsignpost to discuss fics in which Dean and Cas find themselves in a two-person love triangle (or rectangle!) situation—that is, in which they meet each other online or on the phone, without realising they have met face to face as well. The fics discussed include Waiting on a Signal by CBFirestarter and TrenchcoatBaby, Go Down With This Ship by PorcupineGirl, and Four Letter Word For Intercourse by bendingsignpost.
You can find our Mixtape Book Club Ao3 collection here, containing the stories we’ve discussed on the podcast so far.
A warning: Adult themes and swear words are mentioned in this podcast.
Our Guest – bendingsignpost
Waiting on a Signal by CBFirestarter and TrenchcoatBaby
Published 2019, 90k words, E
Dean Winchester, hardworking medic, has two ways of coping with the demands of the job. One, he chats online with his anonymous best friend and fellow medic, FlyBoy83. Two, he’s a member of Black & Blue, a BDSM club where he subs twice a month. One night, he’s finally paired with a blue-eyed dom he’s been eyeing for months, a man he’s waited to call Master.
Or, the story of how Dean and Castiel are online best friends who fuck each other senselessly in real life…and never even know it.
Since he has to stay deep in the closet to protect his job as a children’s librarian in conservative Wichita, Kansas, Dean’s main outlet for sexual frustration is writing and reading slash fiction for his favorite show, Devil Boys. When he starts corresponding with AngelofThursday, another male slash writer in his ship, he really is just looking for friendship… but when it seems like more might be on the table, he’s not going to turn it down. If only he didn’t also have a crush on Cas, the hot volunteer at his library branch…
Four Letter Word For Intercourse by bendingsignpost
Published 2018, 195k words, E
As a grease monkey turned college freshman, Dean’s constantly three seconds away from being stressed out of his mind. It hardly helps that he’s finally figuring out his sexuality in his thirties.
What might help with that stress is a little phone number (and a big credit card bill). If he can’t figure out how to be bisexual in person, he can at least give it a go over the phone, right?
(It’s probably a bad idea, but he really can’t help himself.)
- Love Destiel? Join the community of readers and writers at the Profound Bond Discord server. We have a Mixtape Book Club channel there!
- Our RedBubble shop is here. Any profits will go directly to Random Acts. (We just wanted our logo on a mug!)
Special bonus track
A whole other section of audio unrelated to fic, in which we discuss hug juice, Doctor Who, and our weirdest animal stories. Enjoy.
Other two-person love triangle recommendations:
- Cupcakes & Kittens by mandalarose (73,959, E) – Listen to our review in track 10
- The Way To A Man’s Heart by LicieOIC (50,359, E) – Listen to our review in track 10
- Write First Then Read by MittenWraith (60,254, M)
- Where the Lightning Splits the Sea by ThursdaysWaywardWriter (68,308, M)
- A Truth Universally Acknowledged by hullosweetpea (38,024, M)
- Astrolabe by reluctantabandon & Winter_of_our_Discontent (35,409, M)
- Letters to a Prince by saltnhalo (9777, T)
- Hot Water by chiyume (151,065, E)
- The Rigged Mandela Effect by starespressos (102,039, E)
- 300cc by Lanaserra & spandwiches (87,257, E)
- Cool Rider by opal_bullets (45,137, T)
- Save The Drake by VioletHaze (32,708, E)
- Back Chat by teacass (17,598, M)
- Love In A Truckstop Bathroom by DarknessBound (25,172, E)
- Mi Casa es tu Casa by MalMuses (29,545, E)
- Ready Player Two by MalMuses (31,411, E)
- The Greatest International Love Story the World Has Ever Seen by MalMuses (39,372, E)
- Dark Blue, Dark Blue by EllenofOz (36,112, M)
- A Cup of Serenity by EllenofOz (7718, T)
What’s your favourite two-person love triangle? Please let us know, we’d love to hear from you!
Our intro music is “Angel with a Shotgun” by The Cab, arranged by Ellen 🙂